Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You're an Evangelical...You have to like George Bush!

Now while I have no idea of how many people will read this, I plunge headlong into the blogosphere. I hope that my way with words and my desire to push critical thinking in unpopular subjects will win some hearts or at least create useful debate.
This blog is named quite simply because I don't want to be "pigeon-holed". It will often deal with subjects of evangelical Christian theology, but as is often the case, will move out into the secular sphere of influence. Most paticularly, I will try to make sense of the montage of conspiracies, theologies, and world-views which have brought us to this cultural precipice that we seem to live.
It is early in the year 2008. The Mayans believe that in a little over 4 years there will a cataclysmic shift in the world we live in. For us in the US, I believe the clock is on a much shorter leash. It would behoove you to save this posting and prove me wrong in 4 years. It is foolish to believe that our culture, so much more decadent and apathetic than Rome ever grew to be, can ever survive much longer under the weight of its decay.
As a Believer, I take great comfort in this. It's not that I am trying to bring about Armaggedon. God is completely capable of doing that without my help. But as I read the Scriptures, everything is going according to plan. Now many of my faithful church brethren tell me I shouldn't live in fear or try to figure out the end times. This is simply false theology. While Jesus clearly tells us that know one will know the day or hour, He also tells us that the signs of those times will be clear and empiracal, giving us numerous things to look for. He tells us to be "wise as serpents" when discerning between Truth and what is deception. This is just one small example of the subtle deviation from absolute Truth that has pervaded the Evangelical church over the last 150 years and most notably, the last 50. This is one subject with different threads we will be talking about.
For the sake of symantics I suppose I should put forth my theological position, since the very fact that I am labeled because I say I am an Evangelical Christian seems to denote specific patterns whether they are actually correct or not. I will not presume that anyone here will come with that agenda.
I am a socially conservative (I oppose homosexuality, abortion-rights and sex out of wedlock; I believe in modesty, prudence and self-responsibility), fiscally liberal (we tithe or give charity over 15% of our income), politically civil libertarian (that is, much like a fundamentalist believes in the literal interpretation of the Bible, so do I believe in a literal interpretation of the Constitution), Born-again pentecostal (yes, I believe in those wacky manifestations of the Spirit, such as the laying on of hands, speaking in tongues, etc...within the strict boundaries of Scriptural precedence) believer in Jesus, the Christ, the risen Son of God the Father. I believe in the third Person of Trinity, the Holy Spirit, who will, unfortunately, withdraw from this world, sooner than later, so that Jesus can pronounce judgement on all of us, for better or worse.
I realize to more seasoned readers that this might seem a maelstrom of contradictions, but that is what the title infers. This idea came of age when I clearly had Scriptural precedent for opposing George W Bush in the last two elections, (though I am a fairly staunch Republican). For me it was a no-brainer. Many articles in the mainstream press wrote about his affiliation with the Skull and Bones, a masonic secret society at Yale and something every good conspiracy theorist knows about. Scripture says to have nothing to do with divination where the rituals of the Skulls are identical to those of Wiccan rights. Also they require him to take blood oaths. The Scripture says we cannot serve two masters and that we should take no vows. In absence of a renouncment of his membership, it was obvious and clear what course to take during the election.
This however caused a storm of controversy with my politically active Christian friends who basically thought I was looney even though my theological position was absolutely correct. So was birthed the idea of this blog out of my frustration of what I am 'supposed' to think, instead of living out the Scriptures in an axiomatic manner.
When next I post, I will go into detail about "Axiomatic Theology" and introduce you to a friend of mine, who calls Himself, "the TRUTH".

No comments: